Mayoral Elections

I've grown very disillusioned with the political status quo in this country as of late. We currently have a government that embodies everything wrong with democratic politics - all talk, no walk, and with a growing track record of bungling everything they set out to do.  More mistakes have been made in the last two years than at a camp for people who are pathologically impulsive and indecisive.  We have an opposition led by a bloke who's variant of English is a turn-off for the vast majority of the New Zealand population (and that is saying something).  That's at the national level.

And I'm afraid the local body situation isn't faring much better, either.  I'm finding the local board choices to be far more palatable than the mayoral ones.  Maybe it's because the unhinged and overly ambitious quasi-manic depressive types tend to have the more grandiose ideas.  Let's look at who we have on offer, shall we?  Firstly, we have a practitioner of witchcraft who believes crystals are the key to everything and hates vaccines.  We have a grizzled Bolshevik from the Communist League with neither a demonstrable understanding of basic economics, or history for that matter, who invariably only garners votes from her minute circle of Marxist misfits.  Then we have a guy who's against abortion because only nature should have the monopoly on in-utero termination and lacks the testicular fortitude to show his face.  Then we have another former central government polly who's had the piss taken out of him for what seems to many like harebrained ideas.  But that tends to be the usual modus operandi for political hopefuls running for office.  Oh, and let's not forget about the other candidates who promise to do something about the housing crisis.  I read through such vain drivel and I'm automatically reminded of a quote by Burgess Meredith's character in the film Grumpy Old Men that says that you can shit in one hand and wish in the other, and see which gets filled first.  Picking a candidate that you agree with, it sometimes seems, is akin to choosing which variety of genital warts is right for you.

I might just stick with the incumbent for the time being, because I'm not left with a lot of options here.  Yes, he doesn't like free speech much, particularly when others like myself choose to put up with views we don't agree with on a regular basis, but on the other hand he's doing an OK job I guess by the usual mayoral standards, and he is yet to indulge himself in a quick game of sink the pink on the mayoral desk with some young attractive bird in a manner befitting of a real-life mayor Quimby.  I've already decided who to vote for regarding the local board elections - a guy I know quite well from my university days and my former intermediate school French teacher.  Voting on issues never seems to get anywhere, I'll stick with what I know and who I know.


Comments

Popular Posts